Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"No" makes us better

This morning I opened my email in hopes of finding a response to one of the three queries I've sent out for the book so far. I typically do this this multiple times a day as I am slightly paranoid and impatient. Lo and behold! My first response!!! I will not name the agent, but I was over the moon that I even had a response. Savor the moment... Sip of coffee... Someone that has made a life out of literature has read my proposal. This alone is awesome! Breathe.
I try not to let my imagination go wild. There are so many scenarios that flip through my brain like one of those cute little moving sketches we all do on the sides of our post it notes... We all do those, right? Oh, just me? Never mind.
I boil myself down into three camps of what could happen. 1.) She loves it and wants to sign me immediately! 2.) She likes the idea of where I'm going, but it isn't for her... and here are a few tips to make it better... 3.) The old, copy/paste, form rejection letter that simply says "nope". And the winner is: (drum roll)
NOPE.
I imagine, if you aren't a writer or person that has done the research to know that most every famous writer has gotten tons and tons of those for books that did eventually become huge, you would see me curled in the fetal position on the floor. You can almost hear the body-wracking sobs that permeate the atmosphere as I pour out my sorrow and failure. Pity me! Pity me! Someone get this girl some chocolate, Adele music, and a glass of Pinot Noir, STAT!
Alas, no. I took a deep breath and smiled. Then, I moved it into a new folder in my inbox that I have labeled "query rejections". I'm going to keep every one I get. I may even take Rick Riordan's suggestion and print them for wallpaper in my craft room! "No" makes us better. "No" forces us to grow and improve! Onward to glory! I will live to query again! Or self-pub... that is always an option...

4 comments:

  1. Keep your chin up, Heather! I can't wait to buy the first edition someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very wise way to go about it, a no will turn into a yes eventually. I'm a little nervous myself because I too will be going down this path soon. Despite feeling nervous I feel confident, I know what I have inside of me! :P Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely wishing you luck! It is not an easy path, this following your dreams thing... but it's worth it. So, so worth it.

      Delete