Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Writing Is Like Making Potato Soup

Don't laugh! I'm serious! Ok, laugh a little, but it is still true. Let me explain.
Most everyone that has eaten my potato soup loves it. I get lots of requests for the recipe. The problem is, I can tell you the ingredients all day long and your soup will still taste different than mine. There is no recipe, even though the ingredients never change. I do not use measurements. I do everything by sight and feel... I experience the soup. I know, that is weirdly deep for soup, but there you have it. It is in that way that writing is like potato soup.
You see, we can write about the same moment, the same event, but our stories will differ greatly based on our writing styles, what we personally experienced in that moment, and what we noticed. All of the same ingredients are there. There is nothing you would have that I do not... It is just the individuality of the experience, and the knowledge we have going in, that changes the soup. It's a beautiful thing! Embrace your own version of the soup, folks!
That said... here is the closest thing to my potato soup recipe you will ever get without cooking it with me in my kitchen:

Potato Soup
8-10 potatoes, peeled and chopped
3-4 green onions, chopped (discard the roots)
salt, pepper, and Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
A stick of butter
All-purpose flour
Milk
1 small block of Velveeta, cut into small cubes

Toss your potatoes and onions into a big pot and just cover them with water. Season the water liberally and boil until your potatoes are soft, but not floury. Add in your butter. Stir until the butter melts. Add in enough milk to make the soup white when stirred. Bring it back to a low boil. While you are waiting, mix together a couple tablespoons of flour and enough milk to make it about the consistency of pancake batter. Once the soup starts bubbling, mix in the flour mixture and stir constantly until everything is smooth and thickening. Pull your pot off of the heat and add in the Velveeta. Stir until that is all melted and smooth, then serve.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment