Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Edits, Reviews, and Finalizing! Oh, My!

All of my proofreaders and reviewers have gotten their copies and notes back to me. I've poured over all of the red slashes and notations. I'm in the process of tweaking what needs tweaked so I can start the real work of pushing the manuscript. This is an exhilarating and scary place!
I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised by how well the work was received by those who read it. Though typically not readers of my specific genre for pleasure, they each came back with very positive praise! To quote one of them:


"I found myself completely swept away into the story and the exciting world that H.M. Roach creates in this book. Page after page, I found some new part to the story that would make the adventure even more enjoyable. 

The characters are life-like and bring an excitement to the story as you follow them on their quest.
The novel is written with such great detail and imagery. H.M. writes with such a lovely, lyrical flow - colorful, unexpected, and detailed language, that this new world became very clear and bright in my mind." 

- Lisa Weir

I blushed! But, seriously, it was so helpful and eye opening to have another person's perspective... Even in the corrections. Scratch that. Especially with corrections and linguistic consistency! I've had one other dear friend looking at the pieces of work throughout the entirety of my writing, Mrs. Tiffany Robinson. She has been a saint to walk through this with me. Often, she had to smack me around a bit to keep me going on track. Her input and knowledge have been beyond compare. However, she is now very close to the work, in my mind. The fresh eyes of new people who have no emotional involvement with the work are completely different and much needed! If you are writing in hopes of publication, please don't skip this step. You have no idea how important good, trustworthy, hard editors can be! 


And for those of you that just come around to get my recipes: Don't worry! The next recipe will be up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment