Friday, July 12, 2013

Book News... and a salad!

I just completed my first phone interview/pitch for my book with a publishing company!!! AHHHHHHH! Happy dance, happy dance, happy dance. Aaaaand, breathe. It may or may not come to anything, but the fact of talking to someone about my book in a professional capacity for the first time was incredibly scary and exhilarating and magnificent! On the reality side of things, it showed me that I really need to tighten up and memorize my pitch. I need to be able, at a moments notice, to give a brief, concise, engaging description of my book and myself as a writer (motivations, intent, etc.). All of the research I have been doing helped, but I still felt a bit aimless as I attempted to throw something together off the cuff. Time to get to work! 

Since the super awesome phone convo was but sweet and put my feet to the fire, I'm going to share two of my favorite salad recipes... One sweet, the other spicy!

SWEET:
Pomegranate - Cranberry Layered Salad

1 bag baby spinach leaves
1 bottle Simply Dressed Pomegranate Salad Dressing  
1 bag of craisins
1 small bag slivered almonds
1 cup of cooked, crumbled bacon

Layer in a large, clear bowl in the order listed. Serve. It will make your tongue jump out of your mouth and smack you on the face. It's that good!!!

SPICY:
Heather's Mexican Layered Salad
1 bag spinach
1 can mexicorn (drained)
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
4 chopped green onions
Handful chopped cilantro
Whole bottle chipotle ranch dressing
1 bag Velveeta queso blanco
1 bag Oscar Myer real bacon pieces
Add each of the ingredients to the bowl in the order in which they are listed and prepare for a flavor explosion! Oh, and don't be afraid to tweak this to your own tastes! You can substitute anything you like, really. I've used avocado and lime juice instead of green onions and cilantro and it was delicious too. 
If you try either of these, or you have a comment or advice about the whole book thing, don't be afraid to leave me a comment below! I love hearing from all of you guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment