Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My Shepard's Pie

Anyone who knows me knows I absolutely LOVE to cook. I recently asked my facebook-y pals which of my recipes they'd like to have and I was surprised with the response I received! So, my mind starts working. If I'm sharing all these recipes... why not share them here too? Not all the time, of course... but, book-ish folk must grub as well and this is my blog and I like to cook and, and, and... gosh, stop being so judgmental! (*MEEP*) Anyway, let's start out with the first requested recipe. It's one of my absolute favorites!

My "Shepard's Pie"
(It's in quotes because it's not exactly traditional... and probably more of a cottage pie.)

2 lbs. ground beef (or lamb if you can)
T. oil for the pan
salt & pepper to taste
1 medium onion, diced
1 small bag of matchstick carrots
1 small bag frozen peas
Palm full of minced fresh thyme (or if you don't have fresh, use a teaspoon of dried)
Heaping palm full of flour (I use all-purpose)
2 cups beef broth
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup Guinness Stout
Mashed Potatoes (I make mine with butter and a little cream)
2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded

Tools: 1 large pan, 1 very large casserole dish

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Warm a large pan over medium high heat. Add meat to pan, season with salt & pepper and cook until brown. Remove your meat from the pan and pour your onion in. Cook the onion until it is clear and golden and lovely. Add your herbs and all of your veggies. Just toss them around in there until they are nicely coated with all of the yumminess from the pan. Now take that palm full of flour I mentioned up in the list and sprinkle it into the pan over the veggies. Stir it all up really well and let it cook for 1 - 2 minutes. This is the step that will make your sauce thicken later. Ohhh, honey child, this is where things start getting good! Add in your beef broth, tomato paste, and the Guinness Stout. Yes! Oh, the smell! Heaven! (Plus, you now have that little extra leftover stout in the bottle that needs a home. I have a few ideas for that.) Bring all that fabulousness to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan occasionally so all the flavors can mingle nicely. Add your meat back into the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce thickens and reduces a bit. Taste it and add more salt and pepper if it needs it. (Do not be afraid of salt. It is your friend. Seriously. Forget your heart doc and listen to your mouth.)
Pour the beef mixture into your casserole dish, top it with your mashed potatoes, and sprinkle the cheddar all over the top of that. Try not to eat it yet. I mean it. Stop it and pull your fingers out of those taters! (You can lick the bowls later.) Bake it in the oven for 10-12 minutes... just until the sauce is bubbly. Now switch the oven to a high broil for about 2 minutes (watch it like a hawk) and as soon as the cheese is melty and gooey, you are ready to serve!

I hope you enjoy this dish. Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment